Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Caretaker and the Child

      It was an exceptionally warm day and the sun gleamed brilliantly at the earthlings. Gene was bolting across the bustle streets of California and his parents trailed behind, discussing something discreetly. Gene disregarded his parents and continued flying his kite. The red piece of plastic flew freely like how Gene had always wanted to. His parents kept him in his room all day flooding him with loads of homework and this is the closest he got to freedom. The red blob in the bright sky grew smaller and smaller. Gene realized that the string of his kite snapped and chased after it.

      "Yes! I will chase you and get away from my parents!" Gene giggled and was happy with the little diabolical plan he had hatched. Gene ran across the road to continue his pursuit and conveniently, the traffic light turned green and a river of cars separated the family. He looked at the vanishing red kite and gave up. "Hmm...now that I'm alone, I think I will go to that game shop round the corner."

    Out of the sudden, his head was pounding, as if an arrow had impaled his tiny head. He bent down and squinted his eyes so hard that tears went rolling down his cheeks. Looking up, he saw 2 faint figures in front of him resembling the illustrations he saw in his book, "Bible for children". Angel and Devil. He was so appalled he fell back on his bottom. He rubbed his eyes naively thinking this would be the way to get rid of the 2 out-of-place beings in front of him. His pounding head was no help to his attempt to comprehend the situation. The 2 figures were still there. 

       "Gene, I have been watching you ever since you were born. I know you have a kind soul. Follow me and we can help the people who need help."said the angel.
       
       "Gene, come on. You seriously think that the halo-hat being can do anything. Kindness is for wimps. Come with me and I will give you power and immortality."the devil said with a raspy voice.

Who would he choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment